November 21, 2017

New development




Dr. Edwards, the surgeon who did my lumpectomy and who would be doing my mastectomy, called me today.  He wanted to discuss the nipple sparing procedure Dr. Taylor and I discussed.

He doesn't think I am a good candidate for the procedure.

For one, he said he has only been present for a nipple sparing mastectomy ONCE and that was during his residency years before.  Also, because of the location of my tumor, and the fact that my cancer was microfocal, he said I would increase my risk of a recurrence of the cancer.  Plus there are always the other risks, like poor blood supply to the nipples, which would then lead to nipple necrosis, yadda yadda. 

Ultimately, he said if I wanted to do a nipple sparing mastectomy, he would refer me to the Mayo Clinic.  He would not participate, unless I chose a regular mastectomy with reconstruction.  

To be honest, I had thought about asking for a referral there anyway.  Now that I am having chemo first, I have time to explore other reconstruction options.  There is plenty of time, so I said sure thing.  His office will send the referral and get back with me when they have an appointment date for me.

I think this will be a good move.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grieving What Should Have Been and Never Will Be.

Image Creator Borut Trdina I feel like shit today.  Emotionally and physically.   After yesterdays…argument?   Whatever it was, I find mysel...