March 30, 2018
Toxoplasma Gondii ...aka cat poo parasite
Click the link and feast your eye(s) on all the FUN that is Toxoplasmosis.
"A single-celled parasite called Toxoplasma gondii causes a disease known as toxoplasmosis. While the parasite is found throughout the world, more than 60 million people in the United States may be infected with the Toxoplasma parasite. Of those who are infected, very few have symptoms because a healthy person’s immune system usually keeps the parasite from causing illness. However, pregnant women and individuals who have compromised immune systems should be cautious; for them, a Toxoplasma infection could cause serious health problems."
"In the human host, the parasites form tissue cysts, most commonly in skeletal muscle, myocardium, brain, and eyes; these cysts may remain throughout the life of the host. Diagnosis is usually achieved by serology, although tissue cysts may be observed in stained biopsy specimens. Diagnosis of congenital infections can be achieved by detecting T. gondii DNA in amniotic fluid using molecular methods such as PCR."
"The eye disease can reactivate months or years later, each time causing more damage to the retina. If the central structures of the retina are involved there will be a progressive loss of vision that can lead to blindness."
"Ocular disease is diagnosed based on the appearance of the lesions in the eye, symptoms, course of disease, and often serologic testing"
All of this information from the CDC website.
EARLINE IS TRYING TO KILL ME!!!
Dr. Shere called me today to let me know that the tissue sample and the vitreous fluid both came back positive for Toxoplasmosis.
I have never been happier to hear news like that in all my life!!!
If I could have reached through to phone to give Doc a huge hug and kiss, I would have!! I was ready to run out on the street and start passing them out to strangers! Too cold, though. :p
Seriously, though....getting that news from him just lifted so much of the *heavy* load of anxiety that I've been carrying around with me the last few months while we've been trying to figure out what was going on. Progressively losing my vision in my left eye didn't help either. I was having a hard time feeling that things were going to get better, and that possibility was starting to mess with my head a bit. Who cares if I have cancer, I'm freaking going blind in one eye!
So Yeah.
WHen he told me the results, immediately I felt a huge release of all those worries and anxieties and I was just so very very happy all of a sudden. Who would have thought that I would be happy about finding out I have a colony of parasites living in my system that attacked my retina and blinded left eye!
I was ELATED. Effing On top of the World, Looking Down on Creation ELATED!!
Yesssss.
So. Next plan of action is to get me back on Bactrim, which will treat the toxoplasmosis. I may have to be on it a bit longer with still being on chemo and then doing radiation after. But that's fine. I'll take that shizznit!! It's going to kick those nasty bugs out of my system!
So, I feel renewed! Rejuvenated!
I feel like a cloud has been lifted and the light at the tunnel is burning much much brighter now!!
Have a Happy Easter, Friends! What ever way you celebrate, I hope you feel all the love, joy, and happiness that you all deserve!!
Blessings to you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Grieving What Should Have Been and Never Will Be.
Image Creator Borut Trdina I feel like shit today. Emotionally and physically. After yesterdays…argument? Whatever it was, I find mysel...
-
Since ending my chemo and radiation I have struggled a lot with pain. Some of it is a result of the the chemotherapy I received. From th...
-
In order to spare the wear and tear on the veins in my arms, I opted to have a mediport put it. It's kind of a neat device....
-
Top Photo: Me, Miranda, Josh, Kari, Bottom left: Me and Kari, Bottom right: Me, Beth, Holly, Kari My baby girl turned 21 toda...

Oh wow! What an enormous relief Erin! So happy that there is now a way to treat this and get your eyes better! Happy Easter!!!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that mystery is solved. Have a happy Easter.
ReplyDeleteSo happy for you! Such great news. Have a wonderful Easter, Erin.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear that! Keep up the blogging. there is not a lot I stay on top of but your condition and trials are of utmost importance to us. Be well sister. We share your relief and joy at finding a solution to this new issue. Praying for complete recovery.....you will rock this...
ReplyDeleteBTW the cat meme actually made me laugh out loud!
ReplyDelete