
It seems like my cancer has taken a back seat to all this shizznit going on with my eye. With the exception of still doing chemotherapy once a week, I don't even really think much about the cancer on it's own.
This eye stuff, though....GEEZE!
Things are looking up, though. Last week Dr. Shere said that the retinitis in my left eye looked worse and there was now a lesion on the retina of my right eye that had not been there the week before. So, at that point, he took some vitreal fluid from my right eye for some testing, which came back positive for Toxoplasmosis. So that confirmed that we were definitely on the right track in regards to what was causing my eye problems.
So, my visit with him today was to check again to see if the oral meds I was taking was helping or not. He said there wasn't any changes on my left eye, and the right eye looked slightly better. We decided that the best route to go would be to go ahead with the injection of clindamycin in both eyes to help treat the toxo, along with keeping up with the oral meds to treat the infection systemically. He has also referred me to a local infectious disease doctor to look into being treated in a way that would just get rid of the Toxoplasma Gondii from my system altogether. T.G. is actually a parasite that can live in your body, toxoplasmosis is the infection brought on by the parasite, which normally doesn't bother people the millions of people who have it. Unless you end up with a compromised immune system like mine. So, being treated in a way to get rid of the parasite will ultimately ensure that I do not end up with any further complications from it. It's already done enough damage as it is.
So, I may end up with more injections in my eyes as things go along. As things improve, then the injections won't be necessary, but I will continue on the oral meds for a while yet.
I do have an appointment at Mayo Clinic later this week to see a retina specialist there. At this point, my only purpose in seeing her is to see if there might be any treatments she knows of that could potentially restore the sight in my left eye. Chances are there is not, but I did read a couple of articles on stem cell treatments for retinal damage from other types of infections, so I'd like to see if she knows anything about that. It would be great if I could have sight in both my eyes again, but at this point I have resigned myself to the very likely possibility that it won't happen. And that's okay. I'm still alive, have lots of love in my life, and I am extremely blessed. I can live without one eye in exchange for all of that! :D
In cancer related news, I have only 3 treatments left. May 4th will be my last chemo treatment, and then I will have radiation for a handful of weeks after that. I will eventually be going back to Mayo clinic for a consultation regarding the mastectomy and reconstruction. I am still on the fence with all of that, and depending on what they have to say,, I am leaning more against having surgery. I am keeping my mind open, though.
I did get some good news today. I have been concerned for awhile now that my chances of continuing on with my nursing degree might be in jeopardy because of the situation with my eye. I had been putting off making the phone call to the nursing department because I didn't want to hear the bad news. I finally called today and spoke with the Dean of Nursing. I got her up to date with how I have been and what I have yet to do as far as treatment goes. And then I told her there was a new development and let her know about what happened and that I was now blind in that eye. She told me that was totally NOT a problem, and there was no reason I could not continue with the program!!!!
HALLELUJAH!!!
*happy dance*
It might make things a little harder for me, but Nancy told me there were things the school could do to make accomodations for me...like audio textbooks and the like. SO HAPPY!!!! And I am sure, over time, my brain will adjust to having just one eye, so things might improve with my sight in that way. At any rate, I am just so thankful that I can still move forward and that this whole situation hasn't put a stop to my goals. I'm even more determined to get this done, now!
Nice try, Universe!!! You can't stop me!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment