I feel like
shit today. Emotionally and physically.
After yesterdays…argument? Whatever it was, I find myself in the familiar position of hating myself and all the things that I do to make life more difficult for myself. I can’t get over the feeling that I really am the on that causes all the upset in our relationship and if I could jet get my shit together then life could be normal and happy.
Yesterday I
wanted to have a conversation about money, which is a very sensitive topic
between Gerry and I. Why it has become
sensitive, I am not entirely sure, but I have some thoughts on it. I have
never been comfortable talking about money because I never had it before we
moved in. He made the right choices in life, which put him in the position of being financially stable and I was single mom on welfare begot from a single mom on welfare begot from a single mom who struggled to make ends me. So it’s all I have ever known. My relationship with money is complicated and
uncomfortable, so my trying to talk about it brings all sort of thoughts and
feelings in my mind, and of course I want to avoid those.
To begin
with, I am horrible with money. Always
have been. I was never taught the
importance of managing it, and as I entered into adulthood, my way of "managing" was to justify how I spent it when I shouldn’t have been, and then robbing Peter
to pay Paul to make up for that. Always
behind. Always in the red. Always scrambling to catch up and dreaming of
someday having more so I could finally be “comfortable”.
My position
with money – being on welfare, being in debt, etc – was always a source of shame
for me because I knew what I was doing wasn’t the right way, and I was embarrassed
by it. I was failing in this area in
life that “everyone else” knew how to manage.
My peers were driving cars that didn’t break down every couple of
months, and when they did break down
they could afford to get them repaired.
My peers were buying their own homes, doing renovations, getting new
appliances, going on vacations, going school shopping for their kids, or even
just going to the grocery store whenever they wanted without having to make
sure you didn’t spend to much. I
remember so many times at the grocery store watching the people in front of me
fill the belt with all sort of things from food, to household goods, clothes,
kitchen items, and wondering what it was like to be able to do that. How did it feel to walk into a store and not
fret about whether or not your EBT card had enough to get you through the end
of the month, and how you were going to be able to afford the hotdish you have
to make for the football banquet. It’s
gotta be something that doesn’t look poor, but can you afford it?
So, bringing
that into a relationship is difficult.
Pair that up with whatever Gs hang ups are about money, which I am not
entirely sure of because we don’t talk about it. He likes to have money but doesn't as much like to spend it. I know that he does seem to have a desire to
make as much as he can – or at least that is how I have interpreted things from
our few and far between conversations that don’t degrade into an argument. And that he thinks that money is one of those
conversation topics that creates automatic complications in a relationship. I heard that from him early in our relationship
– Money, Sex, Religion – the three taboo topics to bring up in a relationship. Of course, I avoided all three of them early
in our relationship because I didn’t want to rock the boat. But they can’t be avoided forever, and when
they finally reared their head in our relationship there was no room for civil
conversation. It was immediate defensiveness
and that dissolved into arguments.
A lot of our
conversations dissolve into arguments. There is no room for the civil exchange
of thoughts and opinions and ideas. I feel
like most of our conversations are surface level only.
When I moved in with him after Kari graduated, we would argue about money a lot. In my mind we had money to spend, so why couldn't we sell the house we were in and buy a house in the country. Why couldn't we buy a new car? Why couldn't we get a new set of furniture or go on a vacation. I'll admit, I didn't have a clear understanding of the workings of being financially independent. He was debt free (save for the mortgage) and planned on staying that way. So, when I struggled comprehending what he was explaining to me, he presented the budget for us to follow. It has been helpful in the way of tracking our spending and saving, but I don't feel like it has accomplished what it was meant to accomplish in the way of saving for the more exciting things in life. That was the issue last night and that was what I was trying to approach.
I felt like immediately things got off the wrong start when I was trying to get my words out, but it wasn't the right way. Gerry commented about being straight about what I wanted instead of talking around the topic. That was enough for me to immediately get on the defense and feel like I had to explain WHY I was going about it the way I was, which devolved in to my pointing out how he has made it difficult in the past to approach these topics, and so things are starting to ramp up. After unnecessary and unproductive back and forth, I feel like I have gotten across what I was trying to say, but then he asks me if I think I got my point across -- the question really confuses me and I am not sure how I am supposed to respond, so I am grasping to say anything because I have to give an answer, right? I can't say I don't understand, and I feel put on the spot and so I start to internally panic. "What did I do? What haven't I done right? I thought he understood. What did I miss?" and then it ramps up again, and my anxiety level is getting higher and I am scrambling again to explain myself, but the words coming out of my own mouth don't make sense even to me...it's just filling space and it's creating more upset and it's all going wrong. Eventually things seem to settle down and we have some to an agreement, and the conversation starts to turn towards better things, but then I feel like he begins nitpicking little things that do not matter in the moment. Or he starts pointing our where I am handling things the wrong way, or how I am cutting him off and not allowing him to speak and how HE JUST WANTS TO BE HEARD. I will admit, hearing him say that absolutely SENDS ME because I have been saying for YEARS to him that is what I have needed from him. So I am fighting against getting really angry and mean because at this point I just want to SCREAM at him WHAT ABOUT ME!?!? What about all the times I have expressed that very thing and you act like you have no clue what I am talking about, but when you bring it up I should take heed? I *am* screaming in my head, and I just want to throw my body around hurt myself because that will feel much better than what I am feeling at the moment.
And as predicted, instead of accomplishing anything productive or coming to any sort of common ground, the conversation turns in to him going to bed and my sitting in the car crying my head off and feeling like shit because one again, I have no self control and I have fucked things up. Last might my dreams were full of fear and sadness, trying to escape whatever it was that was trying to hurt me, and feeling helpless and hopeless that anything will ever be different for me. I wake up not wanting to be here. I don't want to feel the way I am feeling and I just wish something would happen to me. Last night I dreamed of getting high and it is so tempting to go to the dispensary for that temporary escape and relief. I just want to hide from all of this.
I feel sick
to my stomach right now. For breakfast I had an egg
and three small potatoes and I feel like I want to throw it all back up. I
feel like I want to cry all day. I feel
alone. I don’t have anyone to talk to
about all the craziness in my head. I
only have myself and I don’t like my own company most of the time because I can’t
keep my thoughts and feelings under control.
So, I fall into this pit of self-hate and wishing I just didn’t have to be
here.
It is Easter
and Gerry is making his rounds of calling his family, and although I know he’s
doing it because it’s the holiday, I can’t help feeling like he’s rubbing
it in that I am feeling like crap and I am sitting on the sofa crying to myself
and feeling miserable and he’s going on about his normal every day life like
nothing is wrong.
I am confused
at what his role is when I am feeling this way.
I want him to be tender, and empathetic and comfort me. I want him to assure me I am not the terrible
person I believe myself to be, or who I feel he thinks I am. I want him to tell
me the reasons he loves me, and the good things he sees in me because I feel completely
incapable of believing those things on my own.
Although, in the end would it really matter if he did do those things,
because I likely wouldn’t believe it anyway.
As much as I do enjoy hearing nice things about myself, I really don’t
believe it. I can’t see those things, so
if I can’t see those things it’s not true.
I am always
stumped when I have been asked to name something good about myself. I always fumble to find something and when I finally
pull something out, I feel uncomfortable and like a fraud.
I simply do
not like myself, and I find it hard to believe that anyone else truly does either. Especially Gerry.
One of the
things I have always wanted in a partner was someone who loved me so much that
they would be my cheerleader and help lift me up. They would love me so much they would want to
convince me how valuable I was to them and to everyone else. That making me happy and feel loved would
make them feel happy and loved. But I
have never found that, and maybe it’s wrong for me to believe that is the way
it is supposed to be. Maybe I have been
wrong all this time thinking that this is a reasonable expectation..or that I deserve
that.
G is currently
sitting 4 feet from me, eating his lunch and watching golf while I am writing
and crying. No attempt to comfort. Just ignoring me, pretending I am not here –
or pretending I am not doing what I am doing.
It makes me feel guilty. It makes
me feel like I am a shit person for having these feeling and needs. If *I* could just get my shit together then *WE*
could be happy.
It all just
confirms, to me, that my presence here has no meaning. I don’t matter enough. I would love to hear
him say “I am sorry for all the hurt you experienced, and I wish I
could take it away…I want to help you feel better. I want to help you heal because I love you
and I want you to be the best person you can be so we can be the best people we
can be” but I don’t think that is anywhere on his radar. It feels like he thinks that I need to figure
this shit on my own, and I suppose I can…and will..but it would feel so much
better knowing I have the love and support I need in my corner that I can fall
back on when things get difficult or I start to lose control.
Gerry just brought up last nights conversation and tells me that one of the point I made last night has a lot of merit and he agrees with it, but what does that matter to me at this point. The who interaction reminds me of my mom apologizing to me long after she did or said whatever she could to hurt me - physically and emotionally. This is why words mean nothing to me. People can talk talk talk all they want, but without action, they mean nothing.
So because he's asking me questions that I can not answer, I get the "hm", which he says means nothing, but I interpret to mean he thinks that I should be able to answer. Even when I say "I am not in the right place right now to answer your questions" -- giving him the straight answer he says he wants from me -- but it still feels like it's the wrong answer. So what is? What can I do or say that is going to be satisfactory for him? I just never know. And right now, I am feeling like I don't even care to know or try or anything.
It's when these things come up like this - these arguments and these feelings - that I want to leave. I am tired of feeling this way about myself. I do a good enough job on my own tearing myself down, I don't need any help, so I start day dreaming about leaving. Getting my own place, doing my own thing, getting out from under the feeling that I am just not good enough for him. That I am the root of all of our issues. Just me, the cats, my plants. I'd still want to work on improving myself and learning and growing, but I feel like it would be so much easier to do without wondering what will be the next thing I do that will create conflict. I'm just so damn tired of it and I don't want to do it any more.
I was feeling so great the last couple of weeks. I even started walking on my lunch breaks and making a conscious effort to make healthier choices so I could work towards being healthier over all. I was feeling good about us and life in general. I spent the first half of the day wandering through garden centers and marveling at all the beautiful plants and dreaming about pulling out my "good camera" to start taking photos again, and then here I am the next day feeling like all of that is just nonsense and anything I was feeling yesterday was a false happiness because I don't have the right foundation for happiness to put it's roots down.
No comments:
Post a Comment