February 8, 2018

Cats, Broken Eyeballs, and No Chemo! Oh My!



No chemo today.  I am having some possible viral issues with my left eye, so Dr. Seimers decided that until we know more about what is going on with my eye, we should hold off the chemo just to make sure it isn't related to the Taxol (chemo med).  I am heading down to Green Bay tomorrow to see the retina specialist there.  According to the opthamologist I saw yesterday, my optic nerve and retina are both swollen and inflamed.  The swelling of the optic nerve is causing a blind spot in my field of vision, and the swelling of my retina is causing a shadowy cloud, making it so that everything else in my field of vision is dark and blurry.  So, basically, my left eye is broken.  I woke up this morning around 3am in some pretty bad pain from it.  It feels swollen, and my eye was watering and I just wanted to tear it out of my head.  I popped a couple of Tylenol, though, and that helped.  In the meantime, I am on an antiviral medication 3x a day for the next 10 days, and I will probably end up with a couple of needles stuck in my eyeball tomorrow.  Loads of fun!!

With my extra free time this morning, I stopped in at Lowe's to pick up some ceiling hooks to hang my plants.  That way I don't have to hang them on the curtain rod any more.  I also picked up some suet cakes, and a brick of mealworm to hang in the backyard for my bird friends.  When I got home, I was all excited to fill the bird feeder and hang all their new treats, but when I stepped out on the back porch I realized the snow was nearly thigh high in the backyard!  I didn't feeling like wading through all of that, so the birds will have to wait until I feel more up to it.  Poor things.  I've been neglecting them this winter.

I found a temporary home for Miss Earline.  It really breaks my heart that I have to oust her like this.  But she may be the cause of my eye trouble.  So she's gotta go, to be safe.  The boyfriend of a friend of mine offered to take her in.  He has a cat already, but as Lilah said "She's old, fat, and lazy."  I know that after a couple of days, Miss Earline will warm up to Gray-C and they will be friends for the time she is there.  I am just thankful I was able to find someone to take her.

I got some good news today!!  Earlier this week I had been told my Short Term Disability claim had been denied because my employer had a "pre-existing condition" clause in the policy.  Since I just bought the policy, starting Jan 1 of this year, my claim was not eligible.  I was upset and wasn't sure what I was going to do.  Start a Go-Fund-Me??  Rely on my tax refund??  I decided to appeal it, so I called the agency that handles our disability claims, and spoke to the woman who had reviewed my case.  Before I even had a chance to ask her about appealing, she started apologizing and told me she had made a mistake.  She had been looking at the Short Term Disability policy for a different employer when she made her determination, which has the "pre-existing condition" clause.  MY employer DOES NOT have that clause, so that means my claim was actually APPROVED!!!  What a HUGE relief!

It's nice to get some good news amidst all of the crap that's been going down the last couple months.  Between eyeball troubles, lung clots, viral infections, and chemo side effects, it's been a rough ride.  I am looking forward to things improving, though.  I feel like they are.  I have to believe they are.  That's how you get yourself through difficult moments -- believing that thing will improve and get better.  There is just no other way.

Peace Out, my Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grieving What Should Have Been and Never Will Be.

Image Creator Borut Trdina I feel like shit today.  Emotionally and physically.   After yesterdays…argument?   Whatever it was, I find mysel...